Saturday, January 1, 2011

Premonition?


Long ago I had powerful dreams that proved to be accurate premonitions. I dreamed my father died--that he had a heart attack while I was away at college--and he did. I had a series of  negative dreams about a college acquaintance I eventually lived with for a while in L.A--rather disastrously.

Then for years there was a dream drought. Now the dreams are coming like the rain.

Two nights ago I dreamed I was at a party with my daughter M.'s high school basketball team. "Where's M's dad?" her friend Niki asks me. We're in a gym and there's dance music and flashing party lights. I have to shout over the din. "He left me for a younger woman," I say. We're surrounded by  a crowd of people--basketball players, teachers, parents. A few feet away, M. is standing in a brightly lit area, and I see she's holding a glossy Christmas card with color photos. There's a big headshot of Mr. Ex's little boy with his name under it. Across from this picture is an empty box inscribed with "HD xx 2012." I puzzle over the symbols. Another baby, I think. Huge Dumb Girl. His Daughter. Harriet something....they're naming the baby Harriet? She will arrive in 2012.

But it's only 2011 now.
Happy New Year, Everyone!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ugh. Why don't you set your mind to some lucid dreaming and dream a little dream for me -- something good, though. No heart attacks or large babies!

@jencull said...

Oh wow, I get those kind of dreams too and they freak me out a bit. Will be watching this space next year!! Jen

Ms. Moon said...

Hello, Ms. Ex. I am visiting you and am grateful that you visited me because it led me here. You are so prolific! I hope you dream of many good things for you this new year.
I dream of ghosts in a house which I inhabit in my dreamworld. They only live in half of the house and we only go in that part to use the bathroom. Anything else is a bit too scary.
I am sure this says something about me and my life but frankly, I don't care to explore that either.