Saturday, November 9, 2019

The Papermaker's Apprentice



A few weeks ago, I began an apprenticeship with a renowned papermaker.



The first thing I made was seed paper. I just learned a tiny bit of the involved process of paper making.



I spent all day at it. This paper has the seeds of native plants in it. Here is how it will be used by a  Native American artist.
The sculptures this artist makes will be left in the landscape, reseeding it to native plants.



I became smitten with the book arts after moving to Minneapolis. I've been learning some basic book construction.


Today I practiced the art of Japanese paper marbling.




I'm still writing. It's National Adoption Awareness Month, and I have resolved to write several pieces on Medium. com this month. Here's the free link to the latest one: https://medium.com/@demanuelclemen/top-secret-my-sons-name-2189f230b6b6?source=friends_link&sk=88543939d1a03e10c52b9c751bcf2f77

And here's where I'm interning: Cave Paper  Check out Amanda's artwork using her handmade paper.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Beautiful paper! Sometimes it seems like a sacrilege to take a pen to it.

My life so far said...

I read your piece on Medium.com, it's beautiful and bittersweet.