Friday, November 11, 2016

The Art of Josephina Aguilar

I'm back from Mexico, back from Day of the Dead, shuffling through life like a zombie. I've been sick with a bad cold since my return, and I have one of those Samsung washing machines that's trying to kill me. Oh, and Trump won the election. Well, not really. He won the electoral college vote and some say he's going to be president. Just typing those words turns my stomach.

I'm going to keep posting about art, theatre and literature here.

 Josephina lives and works in the modest family compound in Ocatlan, Mexico. She and her siblings learned from their mother and Josephina has taught her own children to be ceramic artists too. Josephina is blind now due to the complications of diabetes, but continues to work with just a bit of help from one of her daughters. I saw her build an entire figure using three basic tools--an agave spine, a piece of metal, and sort of ceramic hammer/roller she made herself.


This photo and the one below were taken by my friend Linda Kane



I brought this one home with me.


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful! And I do hope you're feeling better soon.

A said...

Do you know if there's a story behind the imagery – is that a portrayal of a folk tale or myth? The painting is so charming!

Anonymous said...

Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on Whatsapp: +2348104102662