Monday, December 2, 2013

Report from Pillville: Upside Down and Empty


Normally the clouds pile like pillows over the mountains with a dome of blue overhead. Not today. The sky was a bowl of cotton banded by an edge of blue.

Here in Pillville the daughter was the mother and the mother was the daughter. Everything out of whack and ugly. Back to the doctor for follow up on the  cellulitis lump which once again is MRSA. Antibiotics and anti-nausea. I am anti-everything.

I'm in charge of the clean dishes and the clean laundry, I pleaded and then screamed a half-dozen times today as I sprayed my kitchen counters with Clorox. I took away the towels and replaced them with anti-environmental rolls of paper towels.

All the house guests have gone away, and if I had a hazmat suit, I'd wear it. I am anti-skin, anti-mucus, anti-pus, anti-refrigerator door handle.

The house is empty. So is the bottle of champagne. So is the spot where my mother's magnifying mirror stood. But the sunset was bursting.






2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry to hear of this new travail. Ugh. How scary and just --ugh.

That first photo, though, is extraordinary.

Ms. Moon said...

We, all of us, are going to have to be dealing with these new fortified bugs. I have a friend whose father is about to get some sort of experimental surgery to clean out an area in his body where they have taken hold and cannot be antibiotic-ed away.
I can only imagine your anxiety about everything being as germ-free as possible.
Girl, you need a break.