Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday Morning Beach Report: the Road to Shangri-la



They groom the beaches here and this morning it looked like a road had been laid out to take me straight to the horizon.

But life is complicated here in Pillville. I feel more like a behemoth of a cargo ship navigating a treacherous passage. I'm sitting on the patio right now with my mom. There's a breeze and the water is shimmering. Our silver hair is probably shining in the sunlight and passersby might think how darling these ladies are. Did they choose shirts the same color this morning by accident or by design? How nice they can sit on their lovely patio and enjoy the day. They have no idea. Does anyone ever really have any idea what it would be like to be in someone else's shoes? I mean their everyday shoes. Not their church shoes. Mostly, I think we do not. But sometimes we do and those people who can slip into our shoes the way that Cinderella fit into that glass slipper, they are meant to be held close and not let go.



I've been making phone calls to Iowa this morning and messaging my aunt. I've been talking to the hospice here and the nursing home in Iowa. I've been putting on my mom's shoes. We've talked. She most definitely wants to go to Iowa. She's not particularly excited about going to a skilled nursing facility but she says she knows she should. I told her I want her to have 24-hour skilled nursing care. She understands the particulars of that. She knows what's gone on around here. So we're back on track with the plan. More or less. Meanwhile, I'm fixing my eyes on that broad smooth road I took a picture of this morning and I hold close those of you who understand.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I am glad that your mother is able to think this through clearly enough. There is never a thing ever in this world which is perfectly perfect in all perfect ways.
Except maybe for babies, fresh born.
The rest of it...well, we do the best we can. And my Lord, woman! You are doing/have done/will do the best anyone could.
Peace.

A said...

You are right about shoes, and about wearing your mother's, for a little while.

Elsewhere said...

You know, I think that path goes right OVER the horizon. It doesn't stop.

Joanne said...

I think you are doing the right thing, for what it's with.