Sunday, October 15, 2017

How to Party When You're Dead


My niece got married yesterday, and I loved how the wedding decor included those who are no longer on this earth. While I don't really believe that they were watching from above, literally, the way that we were all watching when the bride and groom danced their first dance, they were there through us. People say I look a lot like my mom these days, and my brother's resemblance to our father is almost uncanny.

parents of the bride watching the first dance

So there we all were. All of us. Present in our earthly bodies. Present in the stories told, present when we catch a glimpse of one another out of the corner of our eye, and think, whoa, for a second, I thought....



At one point in the evening my youngest grandniece came up to me out of the blue, and said, "I remember Great-Grandma Ethel." And I said, "Well, let's go look at her picture." And so we did.


3 comments:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Greetings from the UK. Congratulations to the bride and groom!

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Ms. Moon said...

Yep. They are there as close as our bones, our blood.
I find this miraculous.

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful! As always, your writing is luminescent.