Thursday, December 17, 2015

This Rocky Place: They Have Fire Pits Here


I've driven up the coast  a bit from my piece of paradise to this rocky place--a paradise all its own. Colder. Wilder. The motel I'm staying at with my friend Linda has fire pits. It sounds fabulous, but it's cold. For this morning's trip to Hearst Castle I wore two pairs of pants, a tank top, a long sleeve t-shirt, a turtleneck, a down vest, a wool coat, and two scarves.

Last week I was in Arizona with my son and his family. It was cold and rainy there for the most part and my attire was pretty much the same--minus one pair of pants. I am fixated on the weather. Or perhaps more accurately the climate/climate change and our California drought. The drive north to the central coast is spectacular. The ocean stretching out next to the 101 and then the curve inland where, normally, the hills and their soft curves would bring to mind the tawny coats of giant sleeping lions. This trip there was a pallor beneath the tawny hills. Lions undergoing chemo. What green there is in the shrubbery has a black undertone. The uber-elegant Hearst Castle has no running water; the parking lot is clustered with port-a-potties. How long before all of our southern California indoor plumbing takes a crap and port-a-potties are perched on our patios and porches,while hand sanitizer is preferred instead of soap and running water? Maybe El Nino will save us.

In the meantime, art is alive and well. This ancient Greek torso at Hearst Castle has survived centuries.


The elephant seals are still here.


And the sunset is no less remarkable.


3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Some things are indeed timeless. Thank you for sharing them.

Allison said...

It's terrifying. Iran is in its seventh year of drought. Their ground water will be gone soon. What happens when we all dry up?

Elizabeth said...

You know, I have never been to Hearst Castle. I'd love to go sometime. And as far as the drought and El Nino -- I'm overwhelmed. I can't think about any of it.