Friday, April 17, 2020

How are you? Tell me, I want to know.


The ghost of my walking self

Every day I say I'm going to go outside and go for a walk. But I don't. I have a package I want to take to the post office. It's a handmade journal I made for an artist's residency friend who sent me a handwoven cashmere scarf.

Me not going out, but wearing the beautiful scarf. I haven't worn shoes in forever.

A few weeks ago I was walking over three miles (unless the windchill was below 10 degrees) to my papermaking internship. When I was taking care of my mom a few years ago I walked on the beach every morning for at least 90 minutes. In my college years I walked in the woods almost every day. When I lived in New York, I thought nothing of walking 50 or 60 blocks. In my married years I walked the street to street staircases all over the hillsides of Silver Lake. I walked almost every street of Sierra Madre and South Pasadena. Walking is thinking. Walking is figuring things out. Walking is thanking the birds and the trees.

Maybe I'm someone else now. Someone who doesn't like to walk.

When I was 19, I had a very serious back surgery to correct a curvature in my spine. I spent a month in the hospital, 300 miles from home. My mother was with me, but I couldn't see my dad or my siblings or my friends. I couldn't walk the halls of the hospital. I couldn't even lift my head to look out the window. When I got out, I was encased in a plaster cast from my chin to my hips for ten months--its own form of social distancing. That was hard at the time. It was so long ago I don't know how to compare it to now. But there's a connection. I'm not in a body cast. I'm encased in a condo.

I complained a lot to my daughter M while talking on the phone today. What a terrible time to move to a condo in the city, my investments oh dear oh dear, traveling damn it--when can I travel?/can I afford to travel? Blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile there are so many people with much bigger problems. 

So here I am inside, dreaming of flowers that I will plant on my balcony when my new plant stand comes. I'm listening to every song John Prine ever recorded--a few each morning. I'm making hand bound journals with my handmade and hand marbled paper--some tiny and some large.



I bought a paper guillotine. It doesn't fit in any cabinet or drawer, so it lives under the armoire in my bedroom. Today I ordered a screw punch. No, that's not a cocktail.


 I think I'll survive. But today I thought I might be getting sick. I was terrified. How are you? Tell me, please. I want to know. 

8 comments:

Allison said...

I have a small paper guillotine. It's really sharp, and it's just a joy to use. We're good, we're tired; this is sucking the life force out of us. Your scarf is quite dashing.

My life so far said...

You're not alone. I'm scared too.

Ms. Moon said...

Most days I feel like I am teetering on the thinnest knife edge between despair and ecstasy. It's quite odd.

37paddington said...

We're alright, in a state of suspension is what it feels like. Many nights as I go to sleep, I fear I might be getting sick: Is that the beginning of a sore throat? Is this headache *it*? Are the joint pains the first sign? I touch my forehead and my neck and assure myself that I don't have a fever. I wake up in the morning feeling normal and new. You're not alone. I should get out and walk, too.

Barbara said...

Hi Denise - Such strange times. Are you writing much? Love your blog - Sending you cyber hugs - B.

Jules said...

I am in my garden. Everyday I get shower and get dressed, including shoes, knowing that this will not last forever. I have the live ocean camera from the Monterey Bay Aquarium on for 12 hours a day. I love watching the tides shift and the creatures sunning themselves on the sandy shore. Occasionally dolphins show up and remind me that all will be well....

Dancing Writer said...

I love those journals!
I keep expecting to run into you at the farmer's market, but good to hear from you this way. Doing ok. Trying to find a higher perspective; sometimes successful, sometimes not.
If you need anything, I'm just on the other side of the bridge. Take care and be safe.
Carol

N2 said...

I am in CA and have a sizable yard and garden. We are having warm weather for the next week, so I expect anything that's not blooming now, will be shortly. My garden and picking and arranging flowers is my consolation.
A good friend who lives about 15 miles away is struggling with multiple health issues. I break my isolation here to drive down to bring groceries and some sort of cheer once a week, wearing a mask, gloves and keeping my distance. She gets more vulnerable by the week and that makes me anxious for her.
The journals that you are making are beautiful. Love the marbling!
x0x0 N2