Thursday, April 30, 2020

Plants, pajamas, pandemic

I was supposed to go to Oaxaca for a painting workshop this month. That didn't happen. But I kinda brought Oaxaca to me by re-inventing my balcony. Plant stand, rug, plants--check. Soon there will be a bench and an umbrella. This quarantine would be so much worse without ordering stuff on the internet.


This giant mess happened first though. Right in the middle of my kitchen. Yes, hi, it's me. I have not been kidnapped and replaced by an impostor. This is the first time I've attempted a gardening project without a proper outdoor space to work in. Even in my 400 sq. foot apartment in L.A. I had access to a hose because I was on the first floor. Here, I potted everything on the kitchen island, feeling like there would be a stern knock at the door and I would be arrested.  


So that mess got cleaned up and everything was wiped down and sanitized. Today I decided I would make a new mess...collage because I took a very brief online class last week about inspiration for collage and photomontage, and we are checking back in with our work tomorrow. I made the paper below that I collaged on a few months ago, and also did the letter press on it in the same workshop. Now it's a collage. I was able to use some of my marbled paper as well.


I'm working on a second collage too. It's inspired by a line I read, "You break the secret or the secret breaks you." I was really happy about having the blue door in my collage pile, but now I'm thinking it doesn't belong. Maybe it's all about the tree.
The trees are leafing out here. I've been trying to force myself outside since Sunday, and I haven't made it yet. In fact, it's almost 5 pm, and I'm still in my pajamas. This is a new thing. I've been showering and dressing everyday--wearing favorite earrings and a necklaces like life is normal. But maybe not getting dressed is normal now. How about you? Do you wear your pajamas all day? What are you doing to keep from weeping? Are you making things? Writing?  Baking? Are you feeling healthy?


2 comments:

Allison said...

My new uniform for the pandemic is a size Large Hanes men's red label (softer than black label) undershirt and Target men's woven cotton lounging shorts. Their advantage is an elastic waistband and pockets. I shower at night, get a clean shirt and wear it for 24 hours. It's a very efficient method of dressing. It's interesting when we do laundry, pretty much all I have in there is white tee shirts. A lot of people I read are spending the day in their pajamas, and many have foregone brassières, myself included. The big issue of the day is getting the dang teeth brushed before 3 pm. I'm working on that. I still have empty photo albums, sticky corners and acid free paper. We're thinking about doing something with all of the family photos that are currently in boxes. Problem is that we don't know who so many of those people are. Can you tell that I haven't talked to anyone other than my husband for six or so weeks? Love the collage and really love the balcony. That rug is beauty.

Ms. Moon said...

I love your balcony! And why not pot plants in the kitchen? It's your apartment.
That Margaret Atwood quote is great and you've done a good job with it. I like your collages.
I don't own any pajamas. Just nightgowns. And I only wear them in bed. Of course, the clothes I wear are probably more comfortable than pajamas so it's not like getting dressed is a chore.