Friday, August 14, 2020

Watching paint dry

 That's what I'm doing. What are you up to?

Hand-painted paper to use for collage. My new favorite version of collage is mail art. I've been sending out cards like this:



I've been using hand-made paper from my paper-making internship, my hand-marbled paper, junk mail, and a lot of images and cuttings from magazines and catalogs. And today I unearthed all the pretty stamps my mom saved over the years.

I also painted swatches to try out on an accent wall in the guest room. Guests. When will there ever be guests? Maybe never. Maybe years from now. Do you find yourself thinking in years? Weeks and months seem irrelevant. Though a day is still something to get through.

And my tiny balcony garden is thriving.


You can't see the jalapeños. They're hiding.
Blossoms on the lemon tree that will live inside this terrible winter. 

I never thought I'd eat so much basil, but there it is right outside my door, fresh and delicious.

I never in a million years would have predicted how my life is going right now. How about you? Are you doing stuff you never thought you would do? Tell me what.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Please fix up a room for me. I would be happy to be your guest whenever the world emerges. I thought of you this weekend when I took a class from a writer/artist that I've known from the early days of blogging. Suzie Banks Baum. She had what she called Art Camp in a Box. I worked on my first book with beautiful papers, and it even had a sewn binding. Your collages and cards and papers are extraordinary, Denise!

Jules said...

Great card art and the lemon blossoms are so elegant. What a magical world happening in your condo.