Saturday, January 23, 2021

I love coincidences

 Several months ago, pre-election, when I was on a book making binge, I made this.


It's a flip book in the style of the Exquisite Corpse game.


The pages are divided into thirds. Each whole page depicts a person, and when you flip a section of the page,  part of the person can be changed into someone else. Fun and games, and my mind saw a message just in the format. Walk in someone else's shoes. Get inside someone else's head. Feel what's going on in the heart of someone that isn't you. I thought the book needed a few words though so I excerpted several lines of a poem called, "In This Place." Turns out it's a poem by Amanda Gorman. I had no idea, back then, how appropriate that would be.

In other news, I am in this place--my new house in my new study where everything finally has a place and I no longer have to excavate a bin from beneath a bed to find a certain piece of paper.


Here are the other books I made during the book making binge.
And the sturdy deep shelves with room for books and my never ending collection of stuff.


The tiny closet is a wonder. There's room for my handmade paper, my hand-marbled paper, and all the stuff I use for collaging, plus the usual crap one keeps in a filing cabinet. Things like a final decree of divorce, mediation agreements, new divorce advice, tax forms, etc. 

A long while ago, there was this coincidence. Life is so mysterious and interesting. 



2 comments:

37paddington said...

I like thinking of you in your new home.

Elizabeth said...

Yes. Life is so mysterious and interesting. And it sucks sometimes, too. Here's something: I am using one of the little books you made me for my 100 Creative Days practice. You have really inspired me with the collage! I now do a little every day.