Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Smitten


I ran across this old photograph of my parents a couple of months ago. "1951 in the apartment" is written on the back. My mom doesn't really recognize the place, but it's mostly like their apartment above my dad's grocery store. The picture might have been snapped before or after they eloped. My mother is wearing the suit she was married in, and that seems to be a boutonniere pinned to my father's lapel, so I'd say this is as close to a wedding photo as one can get for a couple who got married secretly and then lived apart for months. I love the way he's looking at her. To be looked at like that is the sweetest of valentines.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Yep. You're right. One of the things I love most about my Jessie's soon-to-be-husband is how he looks at her. With attention as well as love. He pays attention to her. He looks at her.
We should all be so lucky.
Your mama was a darlin'.

Suz said...

oh...so sweet....and I love the details that i see in that photo.....the old phone..the wallpaper...the cigarette in your mom's fingers...ha ha
If she has been smoking since way back then...let her smoke...she's beautiful like you..or should I say your beautiful just like her?