Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy Vernal Equinox to you!




Have you ever seen a dust bunny as big as a mouse?

I nearly leapt onto the couch when I moved an end table while vacuuming today. The "grand-doggy" came visiting with his family last week, so there was dog hair combined with the cat hair produced by the ancient cat. Not that she willingly came out of her hideaway in the laundry room, but I think her ancient wisdom allows her to send her cat hair throughout the house even while hiding under the laundry room sink. Long-haired humans are to blame, too, I think. Six Rapunzels with our combined tresses resulted in  every chair and barstool leg looking like it was wearing the sort of mittens one might buy in a boutique on a llama farm. I'll bet bald guys vacuum a lot less.

So I got out the edging tool and vacuumed under and between and behind. I took my cushions off my decrepit leather couch and got rid of all that crud, too. Honestly, I just did that three weeks or so ago, and it looked like I've been using the thing as a bird feeder. I got under the dining room table and wiped down the legs, and vacuumed the upholstery. It's clean.... but ack! to Ethan Allen furniture. I bought the couch and the dining room chairs after the divorce thinking that I should invest in some quality stuff. I recommend a bonfire upon my demise, children. Really, how is it that when you buy a "distressed" leather something it looks so vintage and cool, but when you and your pets do your own distressing, it looks like hell. And how is it that I can buy raw silk throw pillows out of a close-out bin for $5.99, and machine wash them fifty times and all they do is look so good that my couch looks even worse? Ethan, you piss me off.

So, yes, I know Obama is in Israel, and I listened to the NPR piece on annuities and a bunch of other stuff, and there are still plenty of insightful articles and commentary on the Internet about rape culture, but I cleaned my house today. I'm feeling happy and...well....as balanced as an equinox.




And here's a close-up of the plants outside my dining room window.

Happy Spring!!!






6 comments:

Allison said...

Thank you for the background color change. The increased contrast is good, and the colors are just lovely. Great header picture as well. Perhaps I should go redecorate as well. Happy Spring!

Suz said...

I love the new header photo
you are gorgeous there too
and yes...it is good to feel like thirty again..and in my case...60 again :)
Go easy on Ethan....it really looks wonderful...your clean rooms
ah..our days are getting youger too

ain't for city gals said...

I sweep a dust bin of dog hair and dust each and every day...where it comes from I do not know! I just told my hubs yesterday...when Molliedog is gone(she is 13 and holding strong)I want to try one year of dog free life...just to see. I would like to see 42 years again...my best year! Almost 60 now...but who's counting?..

Elizabeth said...

Your house looks both cheerful and peaceful. Oh, and spectacularly shiny and clean. One of these days, I AM going to visit. I am.

Ms. Moon said...

If we all created such beautiful, serene, clean places it would be a better world and the news on NPR would be a lot more tolerable.

Anonymous said...

Your place looks lovely and peaceful. And green outside your window, I wish. We've had three huge snowstorms in the past week.