Monday, March 20, 2017

Spring

Poppies at Arroyo Verde Park in Ventura
My adult children and my grandchildren spent much of last week at my house. We climbed a hill to see these poppies. We went whale watching and saw at least 30 gray whales and several hundred dolphins. It is a glorious thing to survey the ocean around you and see dolphins in every direction. We kayaked; we walked on the beach and hunted sea glass, shells, and interesting rocks. We visited the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum and Planetarium. We ate out at a restaurant on the sand, had high tea on my patio on the newly refurbished teak furniture, and ate delicious food at my table. I can't think of a better lead-up to the first day of spring--all the love, conversation, and the sheer bounty of this life.

I know that spring can feel like a false promise, a let-down, a so-this-is-all-there-is, but not for me this year. Of course, perfection always eludes, but at this stage of the game I'm calling even that perfect enough.

Three of the tag-team kayakers. The other two were picked up by their mom and taken home for hot showers.

Even this bear looks happy.

Photos of sand castles in progress, in ruins, or perfect always make me happy

Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

You are making me wish with all of my heart that my family had a little beach vacation planned before summer's heat becomes intolerable.

Linda d said...

The weather was wonderful for a nice visit. We couldn't live in a better place. Sounds like a good time connecting and seeing the sights. Happy days☺️

Elizabeth said...

So much beauty! I love seeing you all happy surrounded by your family. Happy Spring!

Bohemian said...

Magnificent hill filled with Poppies! I just Love Spring. Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian