Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Maine Event

My daughter is married.

Somehow the baby that could barely tolerate being out of my arms is now, a quarter of a century later, a married woman.

It's a lot to comprehend.

It's been over four years since my own marriage fell apart, and although the trail of destruction the divorce left has not exactly been scoured away by the winds of time, there's been some pretty significant erosion. Oh, it's true that there were separate tables for him and his relatives and for me and mine, but there were incursions into one another's territory.

He danced with my mother. More than once. God knows what she said to him, but the music was so loud that regardless of what either of them said, it's doubtful that they could hear one another. I had a chance to chat with all of his brothers and sisters, and spent plenty of time with his niece who happens to be one of my favorite people.

And so the story of a divorce segues into the story of a marriage. Stories do that. They have a mind of their own, stories do. A baby girl is born, and some time later all hell breaks loose. There's heartbreak. A reversal. The story continues. There's a divorce. There's a wedding. And at this wedding, for the first time ever, four generations of  a rather unusual family find themselves in one place at the same time.

And now I'm home on my couch with my ancient cat purring on my lap. The man who loves me is at his place--savoring the solitude--or, who knows, rattling around in it, lost and wondering what happened to all the joyous hubbub. The relatives and friends are home, too--or making their way there by car, ogling fall foliage as they go. The younger daughter is running victory laps around my mother's trailer, having carried out her Maid of Honor/Party Captain duties, and safely returned my mother and her oxygen machine.

It was a peak family moment, this wedding.

5 comments:

Steph(anie) said...

It sounds absolutely wonderful and completely exhausting.

Elizabeth said...

I want to hear all about it. When do we lunch?

And congratulations, mama, for getting through your first daughter's wedding --

Anonymous said...

I have come to realize that my ex will never be far away. Graduations, wedding and babies being born. I still have to share all that with him (and his new wife that I think I could find myself liking.)
I am glad you got through. And it seems you got through it with joy!

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. If you have children with someone, you are linked for life.
I am so happy it came out well, that everyone survived, that the wedding was joyful.

Tanya Ward Goodman said...

lovely! congrats on the wedding and the joy and the return to a warm cat. hope to see you soon.xo