Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bird of the Day:Belted Kingfisher




Spotted by my mom on the neighbor's boat dock.
We keep the binoculars on the end table these days.

The funk I was in has, coincidentally, flown off.

photo credit: Wikipedia      Having never seen a Belted Kingfisher before, I couldn't get my camera because I was too busy looking through the binoculars making my inventory, i.e. long straight beak, russet feathers on breast, white band around neck, short tail, really short legs, plump body....

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

What a very handsome bird!

Suz said...

ha ha that has happened to me....but it never works..by time I get to the book...I forget what I saw...
Those kingfishers are handsome....
bet your mom loved seeing him.....
funk...you....I thought it was only me this week...must be our signal to migrate...what do you think?

Elizabeth said...

Between the gorgeous cakes and amazing birds, well, I don't know what to think except that beach life is becoming to you!