Thursday, December 20, 2012

Poem for the End of the World



A poem by Sara Teasdale

There Will Come Soft Rains

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone. 

Do I really think the world is going to end tomorrow? No, I do not.
Do I believe that the world could end at any moment. Why, yes, I do.
Have I ever felt like my world was ending? Yes, I have. And I'll bet you have, too. And, no doubt, there are thousands of people for thousands of reasons feeling that way at any given moment. 

2 comments:

Suz said...

love the poetry
and yes, there have been days
but I never worried about it
..."Let Evening Come"
..ahh those poets...they have a way with words
enjoy your day, Denise

Ms. Moon said...

Looks like another fine day here in Lloyd, Florida.
That poem is beautiful. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
And hell yes, the world as we know it ends all the time.