Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Out-of-Body Experience



Floated is not the right word. Not rocketed. Sprang is not right either because we think of that as employing the feet. I was in a chair at the end of a conference table, the mediator on one side, the Someone on the other. The Someone and his overstuffed tote bag laying behind his chair blocked access to the door. The anger came on like a sickness, like a posion filling my body. I became light-headed with it. The lightness blinding me until all I saw was white, and the weightlessness spread into my body. A giant parade balloon. A ridiculous caricature. La Furiousa, the Ex-Wife. I did not stand. I levitated. Lifted off. Stretched the tethers that held me to the ground to their breaking point, then snapped free with a pop. "I have to get out of here," is what I think I said. By then I'd already risen to the ceiling, pried open the door, and sailed down the hallway away from him.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

There is no anger like the anger generated by the betrayal of someone who once we thought was our closest love. Who had PROMISED that.
Oh god.
I'm sorry.

N2 said...

So sorry you are still having to deal with scenes like this. Wishing you an end to it, and soon. x0 N2

Elizabeth said...

Oh, dear. Will it never end? I am thinking of you, sending you comfort and love.

Val said...

Ha, this is a great description! I know exactly this swelling Fury of which you speak...
I was filling in a new friend on the details of our custody agreement & was SHOCKED to hear the degree of bitterness & yes, vindictive rage in my tone!?!?! I don't want to sound like a furious harpy, but it is what it is, I suppose. Own up to reality.