Friday, January 25, 2013

Report from Pillville: The Gastroenterologist, the Scan,the Blood Test, and the New Medication


"My God, you're handsome!" my mom said a couple of minutes into the appointment with her latest doctor--a gastroenterologist. Nothing wrong with her eyes. Seriously, this doctor needs a TV show. Or perhaps a trip to Bollywood. Now I understand why the nurse comes in first and takes the patient's heart rate and blood pressure before the doctor appears.

And here's the best part of it. After I told him she doesn't hear well, and she could communicate much better if he looked at her, he did. Every syllable. He listened to her complaints. He asked a lot of questions and listened some more. He studied her list of medications, then rearranged the scheduling of those a bit so he could work in a new med that might help her.

He also ordered blood work and a scan in addition to the other lab tests she's already had. The scan was today, and I'm always amazed by what a trouper my mom is. Chalky drinks, IVs, loud machines--no problem.

And when we got home, she received a shot of vitamin M--the best medicine of all. In fact all the residents of Margaritaville have been suffering from a severe vitamin M deficiency. We're all feeling better by the minute.


photo notes: The picture at the top of this post is an Indian movie star--not the gastroenterologist. The picture at the bottom of the post is, however, the real and true M.

3 comments:

Suz said...

oh my...swoon huh? Goodness I think I would love your mom...! And to think that he actually is a good doctor...wow...
Hope he can help her with all her meds.
And your daughter...I think she has your brilliant smile....and good heart...it shows
have a great weekend

Jules said...

I really wanted the top pic to be the REAL GI doc!!
Now I'm so disappointed I have to watch Shaun the sheep with my doggie

Joan said...

I see the cat is making good and sure that M isn't going anywhere... Enjoy her stay!