Thursday, May 8, 2014

Then This Happened: Snowy Plover Nest Follow-Up


This is the spot on the beach where I discovered the Snowy Plover nest yesterday. This morning I was thrilled to see that there's fencing around the area, and a sort of cage dropped on top of the actual nest. I'm not sure if it's the Audubon Society or the State Wildlife folks who do this, but it certainly was a timely response. (This cage does not hamper the birds movements--they can walk in and out.)

The next photo shows why it's so crucial to protect the nest.


How would you ever spot eggs that look like rocks if you were driving a truck across the sand?

Based on the birds I saw this morning, I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple more nests out there on the open sand. When I get the fancy birder binoculars I ordered, I'm going to go back out to that spot and have a look.

Am I having fun? Yes, I am. This morning's beach walk also included dramatic divining pelicans, whimbrels, and black-bellied plovers. Paradise. Right here. Right now.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Isn't it a splendid thing when we find paradise right here on earth?

37paddington said...

Yes!