Friday, July 22, 2011

Dear California


I miss you, California. Your cool nights with the scent of jasmine in the air. Waking to wild parrots, the tapping of the woodpecker in my grevalia tree. I miss my patio, my barbecue, my juicer, and my own bed.
Oh, things are good enough here in the land of 10,000 lakes. Pairs of finches on the telephone wire outside my kitchen window. Pristine skies and flower boxes dripping with humid color.
What would it be like, I wonder, to have the people I love most live in the same place--across the street or down the road? What if there could be no future parting?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes. Do like my Italian grandfather did -- bring everyone over. Bring everyone in your family to California!

Jules said...

Full of longing and whimsey, and magical thinking.
Roger that!