Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Report from the Gin Mill and Other Destructions


It was martini day here in Pillville. I put 18 2-oz martinis in jam jars and tucked them away here:


You don't see them, do you? Good. I also lock the door to my closet and to my room whenever I'm not at home. Yes, I am pretty much a raving nut case. If you'd like to read about my mental decline and how martini rationing was instituted here in Margaritaville, go here.

Meanwhile, millions more dead velella vellela have washed up on our shores.


The old crop from a couple of weeks ago are now higher up on the sand, reduced to their sails, their shiny blue bodies decayed and gone. Today on NPR, I heard that 13 million California trees have already died in the drought. We should probably ration all kinds of things here on planet Earth--especially in California.

And today in the state of Pillville we had a summit meeting. The Minister of Finance met with the Director of Planning and we concluded that my mom's money will run out in a few months. Options for supplemental income include opening a martini bar where the martinis are served in jars and hidden in various locations around the house, procured by a scavenger hunt. Jar Jar's Martini Bar Adventure. (Is this a good place to throw in a Yoda quote? "The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.") Stay tuned. Maybe we can work in some kayaking. Maybe you get a free drink if you dress up like Yoda or JarJar Binks.

In other news, the Director of Recreation in Pillville has suggested that I dance every night. I'd enjoy that. I think I'll leave my mom in charge of Jar-Jar's.

A freshly washed up velella velella from last August.

 And a freshly washed up me (from the early post-divorce years.) I love this photo, taken by my niece in maybe 2008 or 2009.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Okay. If it were me, I'd probably give my mother access to the entire bottle. But I'm not saying that's the right thing to do.
And your mother is not my mother.
Love you sincerely...Mary

A said...

I love that photo too -- can't quite place its evocative look. Didn't hear the terrible statistics about the trees, but I'm trying to save the ones I still have left, which may
already be too stressed to tolerate
the salts in gray water.

Elizabeth said...

I don't even know what to say. I read a headline at the store that claimed most Californians are pretty much in denial about the drought and its severity. I veer toward that sometimes.