Sunday, May 24, 2015

Alaska: In the Flow of a Silver Gray Day

I don't remember the last time I experienced the vanishing of  the civilized world. Maybe on a High Sierra backpacking trip in 1978 or 79. On today's float trip on the Susitna River, we could hear the water rushing on its way. We could hear belted kingfishers calling and the cries of arctic terns. Our own voices. Nothing else. Eventually a small airplane flew overhead. 

The Susitna River

Before the beauty of all this, we looked like bumblebees heading for the water.


Then we were transformed into tiny beings in a tiny boat in a very large place.




My friend Ellen cooked up the idea to sign on for this trip. So glad she did.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I love Ellen

Steph(anie) said...

I could just cry for joy for you.